doing the can-can

I was supposed to sit in bed all day and read, but nagging at me were the three flats of tomatillos, the pounds of tomatoes, the 4 (LAME!) squash and the bag of beets. Don't even get me started on the buckets upon buckets of Farm apples in our walk-in fridge (that is Sunday's project). So I:
  • hunched over the sink and scrubbed tomatoes in cold water for what seemed like hours; roasted tomatoes with garlic, chipotle, chili pepper, green peppers, cumin and chili powder; cooled; blended with red onions, lemon juice, salt and red wine vinegar; canned salsa
  • peeled and scrubbed tomatillos; pureed and drained off excess juices; mixed with garlic, chipotle, chili  cumin and chili powder, tons of red onions, lemon juice, salt and red wine vinegar; canned salsa
  • washed, halved, oiled, salted, roasted, gutted seeds and salvaged stringy strands of spaghetti squash, bagged and froze
  • boiled, cooled, skinned, sliced and pickled beets
Then I pondered the one green tomato I left on the counter. I was tired and wanted a nap but fought the urge and instead found this recipe on the quick and made my first ever batch of fried green tomatoes (well, tomato, since I only used one). The recipe was good, I just added a little extra salt to my batches. Mmm...fried green tomatoes...yes PLEASE! Never again will I fret a frost and being stuck with green tomatoes. I have found a new favorite. Yannick and Sascha also gave their thumbs up on this recipe too.

My reward for a job well done was a really good dinner out with my friend Ian. We feasted on amazing calamari with chipotle mayo; beef brisket slathered with bbq sauce, steak frites, mashed potatoes, mac n' cheese (brought by mistake--mmm...free food always tastes better), local greens and beer at Route 7 Grill. Aside from the food being AMAZING, I really appreciate that Route 7 tries to use as much local food as possible--so, if you're in the area, check them out!

On our ride back to the Farm we took the back way; we enjoyed the slow and meandering New England curves; talked about music; mulled over life. We parked the car and walked back to my cabin from Ian's house so that we could admire the starry sky. We enjoyed a glass of wine outside in the cool summer-becoming-fall night air and both commented on how life is good...and life is very good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH