"howl the eternal yes"

Just read a CNN article this morning about the Aurora Borealis making an appearance. It reminded me of Northern Exposure and Chris the DJ.

So, thought I would share a quote as I reminisce about the Aurora Borealis, a.k.a. The Northern Lights, which I saw my first year at the Farm in Massachusetts, which I actually saw on my 23rd birthday!--the best birthday present I ever got!!

"There's a dark side to each and every human soul. We wish we were Obi-Wan Kenobi, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Darth Vader in all of us. Thing is, this ain't no either-or proposition. We're talking about dialectics, the good and the bad merging into us. You can run but you can't hide. My experience? Face the darkness. Stare it down. Own it. As brother Nietzsche said, being human is a complicated gig. So give that ol' dark night of the soul a hug. Howl the eternal yes!"
~ Chris, Northern Exposure, "Aurora Borealis (A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups).”

It feels right that the lights come later this year; as the year winds down and we plod deeper into the world's (and our own) darkness, as we struggle with things looking and feeling dead around us, as we fight to utilize shorter days and cope with the blinding whiteness which will not turn into a brightening until we let the light of the reborn world in. It is at our lowest that we can achieve so much.

Though these pics are from somewhere in Rhode Island you get the general effect. They were taken the same night as I saw it.
I found the pic at the top of the page here. It was actually taken in SW Massachusetts not far from where I saw it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH