happy



"Below My Feet," Mumford and Sons

"Happy"
Last night
we spoke of a happiness
new, yet familiar
feelings of calm and excitement
a moving on without loss
or
a staying and knowing
that it is out there
just waiting for us
not leaving us behind
not moving ahead
to an
irreconcilable place.


As we spoke
I couldn't help
but see the curve in the road
which we drove everyday
for a thousand years--
which was really only two
because poverty
doesn't equal privilege--
away from where I felt most safe
yet moving towards
something unknown.


Who would have known all those years ago
that I would sit in this place
have this conversation with you
and know that you meant it
when you said
you
were
happy
for me
--A. R. Bennett

"When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment....I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

Comments

Blondebookworm said…
I really like this, I think everyone tries to be happy but sometimes it's hard to keep the smile truthful and your muscles weaken from the weight. When I saw this post on my dash it made my muscles stronger again and now my mouth and eyes are smiley :)
Thanks Blondebookworm. :) Your comment made me smile!

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?