spring is the mischief in me

"Spring is the mischief in me..." --Robert Frost

After most of the snow melting in the last weeks of March, and grass becoming visible again, the first of April brought us snow--a bad April Fools Day joke. However, I feel hopeful. It is warmish today, though there are still traces of Friday's snow on the ground; I began my planting already (two weeks ago potting some flowers) and planting always makes me feel hopeful. I'm experimenting with sun flowers started in a green house--I am still not sure why this seemed like a good idea, as they are already 2 inches high and I am not transplanting them for at least another month. I also planted pansies which I hope to use as decorations on cakes and maybe in the house.

Yesterday I began the next batch of planting, putting into seed planters my first (only?) batch of tomatoes: Romas, Rosso Sicilians and Gold Medals and Tomatillos--all seeds which I purchased from the wonderful Seed Savers Exchange. Isn't there something about the very act of pushing soil into planters, carefully dropping seeds into a soil thumb-print cave, watering carefully. I love everything about gardening, its tedious beginnings; the hopefulness and watchfulness I feel, constantly checking on my plants; the first shoots of each plant, a triumph; the transplanting and worrying over if everything will take ok; even the weeding; especially the gathering, biting into many fruits and veggies, freshly picked, rubbed (mostly) free of dirt; the sheer crispness and very realness of eating something you've grown yourself. I can't wait to lie next to my budding garden, to again stare upward, to make animals and transportation of clouds, to dream under a baby blue sky again. *Sigh* Until then...I will be content with April.

"yes is a pleasant country:

if's wintry
my lovely)
let's open the year


both is the very weather
(not either)
my treasure,
when violets appear


love is a deeper season
than reason;
my sweet one
(and april's where we're)"

--e.e. cummings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?