jumbled thoughts of life and being 6

Six years ago I received a phone call telling me that my best friend L and husband K were welcoming their second daughter into this world. Six years ago. It feels like forever since then. I called to wish Audrey a "happy birthday," this weekend and briefly chatted with her and bestie L in the midst of a birthday party. Hanging up I was left alone with my thoughts; what will the rest of Audrey's life hold for her? The first six years of a human life is rife with so much growth, development, movement and change...and then what? As I pondered this I began to think of the last six years of my own life.

What was I doing six years ago? Six years ago at this time of year I was freaking out about grad school, I was going, right? What was I doing with my life? Where should I apply? But for what programs? At that point in my life I had decided to make a go as a writer and apply for MFA programs. But where? The Midwest, where I hailed from? Or the East coast? Be nearer family again? Or continue working at the Farm and go to school too?

I was accepted to the program I wanted to be accepted to...but I didn't even go. I moved back to the Midwest, changed my mind (for practicality's sake) and became a Librarian. And now, six years later, I am a Farmer (again) and a Librarian. My life has changed in so many ways and so many wonderful things, which I could never have foreseen, have come to pass. Life is good.

My thoughts feel jumbly today...I don't know why I bothered to post. I will end my weird digression with this lovely passage:

When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
~ A.A. Milne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH