picking up my piece of the continent

"No man is an island, entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent,
a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less,
as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friend's
or of thine own were:
any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind,
and therefore
never send to know
for whom the bells tolls;
it tolls for thee..."

~ John Donne, Meditations XVII

I stumbled upon this today while doing some reading about Hemingway's For whom the bell tolls, and two thoughts popped into my head: 1. Simon & Garfunkel TOTALLY stole this idea for that song, "I am a rock," and 2. I love the first line, "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, part of the main." I am sometimes surprised at how we lose an awareness of how important each of us is in community; how each one us is a significant, though maybe small piece of the puzzle.

Coming back from vacation I am exhausted, yet glad to pick up my piece of the continent and keep working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH