Monday, September 26, 2016
10 ways you know you're at a Library Conference
10. Don't be surprised if you see lots of comfortable shoes with all kinds of outfits. Librarians are about practicality.
9. At some point during the week you will hear discussion of the latest book or comic book/graphic novel turned into movie, opinions about the actors selected, and who really should have been cast.
8. You will see a few too many programs on whatever the latest craze in libraries is in the current year...STEM or Makerspaces ring a bell?
7. You can play a sort of Where's Waldo that includes: one librarian wearing some kind of kitchy library swag, i.e. due date slip scarves or socks; a librarian wearing an ironic cat sweater; a few famous authors, an endless sea of characters wearing glasses.
6. You and your friends play "Shoulder Bag Show-off." Winner points out the most shoulder bags touting a specific library name, or a book seller. Double points if the bag displays "famous" mascots like Penworthy Bear, or the Baker & Taylor cats. Loser buys the first round.
5. Time in the Expo hall may be as varied as spending time looking at library vendors, then wandering over for selfies with a penguin (OLC '15 Cinci--props!)
4. You will finally get to pass out a bunch of your business cards--you know the ones that sit in that box in your office ALL YEAR--you may notice you're not the only one with some type of book logo..."Damn it, not to self. Cooler cards next year!"
3. You will see free library swag on vendor and committee tables and suddenly you've lost you've lost your freaking mind!
2. You will hang out with awesome people and make a bunch of cool friends who really get what you do! And get the madness that is working with the public.
1. You may get a little drunk and get the real dirt on all the other libraries/librarians. You've finally arrived.