when it rains it pours

...literally and figuratively.

Sticks has gotten so much rain this summer that many farmers will lose portions of their harvest; yard and fields and basements are flooding everywhere. And in my life one stressful thing seems to keep happening  after another. I'm exhausted.

Summer Reading: our craziest, busiest time of year; months of preparation and 6 weeks of chaos and happy patrons. It was an amazing year with growth in all of our numbers, and we're pretty proud of how hard we worked and the great feedback we've received!
It was an amazing year:
466 people participated
92 programs over 6 weeks with 1,972 people attending
Thank God it's over!

Work:
The Building: I've been talking to our alarm company and HVAC guys more than I talk to my Mom. We've been having loads of weird issues with both our alarm and the air conditioning. Also, going through the process of getting appointments set-up for carpet cleaning, and interviewing cleaning companies as we're finally deciding to outsource our cleaning.

Staffing issues
One of my staff recently resigned, which means I will have to go through the hiring process AGAIN. Ugh. My treasurer retired July 1st, and so we're still trying to get her replacement up to speed.
I've received complaints about unfriendliness of a couple staff at the Library, and am dealing with that. Disciplining staff is NEVER fun. I am not popular with a couple folks right now. WORST part of my job.

House: 
Recently realized that I was having some moisture issues at my house; landlord had repairman out who determined there is significant amount of water damage to two of the exterior walls of the house, due to bad water spouting for who knows how long. This repairman said he could do work in roughly months time, and that would be replacing two outside walls. More quotes are to follow from other contractors.

I can't even imagine how I would go through not being able to be in my house for at least a month! I'd have to put all my furniture in storage, and what of Hemmy?! I am also hesitant to stay in a house that's had water damage--unhealthy fear of cancer caused by weird bio-hazard molds...so, I'm looking to move again. I think I'm done with Sticks--this being my 3rd housing situation, none of which have been stellar. I am thinking 30 minutes north in a bigger city with better amenities.

Hemmy:
Long story short, my poor Hemingway got what the vet called "crystals" in his bladder--something akin to kidney stones. Poor fellow was in pain and had to stay over at the vets this week. He is on the mend, and thankfully my great friend, Kelly is taking great care of him while I'm on vacation.

...my vacation couldn't happen at a better time. Spending 5 days with ChicagoBoy, celebrating his birthday, and doing a lot of relaxing. Already feeling better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH