fires in the fall

Fall is happening all around us and I feel so grateful
that I've seen so much of it's glory this year; 
the colors over our campsite when the leaves were first 
bursting, and then last weekend as cover and forest 
bedding for us as we hiked lovely Hocking Hills!
Last weekend I went home and to the town of Fenton,
MI, where I grew up and was greeted by downtown
Fenton in full autumn regalia. Beautiful beautiful!
With fall on the brain I've been seeking out more poems
that celebrate this favorite season of mine! Here's a gem: 
"Autumn Fires"
In the other gardens
     And all up the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
     See the smoke trail!
Pleasant summer over
     And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
     The grey smoke towers.
Sing a song of seasons!
     Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
     Fires in the fall! 
--Robert Louis Stevenson 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH