the open road (in Europe) soon

Going out of town the last 3 weekends has been lots of helpful practice for when I go to Germany in LESS THAN A MONTH!!! Lots of opportunities for how/what I am going to pack, and what I am now deeming unnecessary.

Last year when this was still a pipe dream, Yannick, Magdalena and I were talking about what I'd like to see if I made it to Germany. Me, the ever crazy one blurted out, "EVERYTHING. I want to see as many countries as I can, in the time I have with you." We laughed about this not too long ago, until we got to talking in a Facebook message between the 3 of us where we all agreed that we'd be game for an EPIC roadtrip. I LOVE roadtrips. They are one of my absolute favorite things on the planet. And doing it with some of my friends IN EUROPE! Could my life be any better!?!?

So, I read travel books and make half-assed notes in my journal. I shock people when they saw, "So, what are you going to see? Which cities are you going to hit up" to which I reply, "I'm not really sure. Honestly, I don't really care what I see as long as I'm in Europe and I'm with my friends."

This drives people nuts. I think that many of us Americans are Type-A travelers who need a sense of agenda. No time wasted. Cram, cram, cram it all in. And believe me, I'm not above it, I've done it, but looking back on those vacations (Australia, 1996), I realized that the most sacred moments that will still be with me when I'm 90 years old were the pure, unscripted moments--seeing the Milky Way and Southern Cross above us as we lay in the dirt in the Outback; an impromptu hike on an all coral beach. So, as I spend my final weeks not planning, other than which music to burn onto CD, since the car we'll be driving isn't iPhone compatible but has an old CD player, I choose to focus instead on getting ahead at work and making sure my house is stocked for the Armageddon in cat food and litter.

Has anyone out there done a roadtrip in Europe? And if so, what route did you follow? 

Found this really fun list of tips for travelers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH