blackberry pancakes bliss

Yesterday morning after hours and hours of watching Twin Peaks late into the night before and then again first thing that morning, I was ravenous and wanted pancakes. Though I had eggs in the fridge there was no milk, so I googled vegan pancake recipes, chose one that sounded ok and then modified it a little. The recipe I came up with is this:
Vegan Pancakes:
  • 1 ¼ c flour
  • 3 Tbsp white sugar
  • 2 tsp baking pwdr.
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 ¼ c water
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar  *

Mix everything together, DON'T over whisk, and pour on a very hot, greased pan.
*the apple cider vinegar and baking pwdr. help the pancakes rise

Upon finishing the pancake batter I realized that I was out of maple syrup  A few expletives later I decided to make a sauce with some blackberries I found in the freezer.
Blackberry Sauce:

  • 1 ½ C of blackberries (any berries would do)
  • I Tbsp vanilla
  • ½ c powdered sugar
  • ¼ water
  • splash lemon juice
Combine all things in a saucepan and cook over medium heat.
After a few minutes (this gives frozen berries enough time to thaw) take a potato masher and mash berries
Stir everything
Let things cook until sauce thickens to the consistency you want (keep in mind that sauce will thicken as it cools too!)

This was the best breakfast I've had in ages--toot, toot my own horn!--and don't get me wrong, I'm not a vegan, by a long stretch (you can actually see a huge pat of butter melting on pancakes in top picture). The only thing missing from this breakfast was a side of bacon, oh, and friends to share it with...but mostly the bacon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH