the open road...sort of

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.


Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road.


The earth, that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.


(Still here I carry my old delicious burdens,
I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go,
I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them,
I am fill’d with them, and I will fill them in return...."
--from "Song of the Open Road," Walt Whitman
For the whole poem

I am SO GLAD to be getting out of Sticks for a few days. After a quiet, and somewhat lonely Christmas I am ready to head north to friends and family, and am excited to see ChicagoBoy on New Years Eve! Definitely looking forward to much needed time with the besties, and seeing some of the kiddos I love so much, especially to see my birthday present, Mika, and our other friends' new baby, Ellie. 

Though I'm not really going on a roadtrip, I am excited for the solitude and silence the open road provides. I head points north!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH