holiday books for chubby hands

I was pleased as punch to get a call from TSO the other night--without fail Christmas came up, and family, and then what he should by his 9mos. old niece for Christmas. And you know, I LOVE giving book suggestions, so I whipped up this quick list before I went to bed--board books for chubby little hands, and gnawing little children:

Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle
The book I've read to countless children. A classic. The hungry caterpillar eats his way through this book and many colorful foods to turn into, you guessed it, a beautiful butterfly!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear; Eric Carle
A great book which introduces kiddos to colors and animals. Great repetitive phrase,
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?" You'll be saying it in your sleep in no time!

The Mixed Up Chameleon, Eric Carle 
This book is silly and colorful and definitely something the kids will love and love as they grow--the chameleon gets all the things he wishes for until he's nearly unidentifiable!

Can you tell that Eric Carle is my hands down favorite children's illustrator? I LOVE LOVE LOVE his books and if I ever have chitlins, will be decorating the nursery in an Eric Carle theme. One of these years I will make it to his museum so that I can meet him!

Snowy Day, Ezra Jack Keats
This was my FAVORITE book as a child and I still have my well loved copy. A story I've shared with so many of my favorite little monkeys and something I ALWAYS read when I do school visits.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Michael Rosen
Babies LOVE and learn from repetition and rhythm, that's why they'll be enthralled with this book,
"we're going on a bear hunt, we're going to catch a big one..."

Freight Train, Donald Crews
I used to read this book with my Baby & Me Storytime group years ago. I love Crews' pictures of the different train cars and that each car is a different color. Minimal words.

Orange Pear Apple Bear, Emily Gravett
A story told in 5 words, 4 of which are in the title. Brilliant. I love that bear.

Counting Kisses, Karen Katz
What baby doesn't want to be reassured of their parents love?

Goodnight Moon or The Runaway Bunny or A Child's Good Night Book or The Big Red Barn, Margaret Wise BrownClassics that make children feel looked after and loved. I love her books.

Guess How Much I love You, Sam McBratneyThis book is so sweet--that sneaky little rabbit who thinks he can out-love his father only to learn that his Dad will always love him more. Made me cry the first time I read it to Monster Niece S (now 9!!)

ANYTHING by Sandra Boynton! Kids (and adults) of all ages love her silly books. I think my favorites might be The Belly Button Book or Snuggle Puppy--also brilliant is the song covered by Eric Stoltz (Mr. Brooks in the 1994 version of Little Women!!) on the CD Philadelphia Chickens, which you can probably check out or order at your local library!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?