Adulthood. I'm not doing it right.

Like many folks I recently read, "Sex every day for a year," in HuffPost and since reading it and sharing it was steered to the author's (Brittany Gibbons) blog, "Brittanyherself." I started reading the blog and laughing out loud and loving it! I feel like I've stumbled upon a kindred spirit out in the blogosphere. Inspired by a recent post on her blog entitled, "Adulthood. You're not doing it right." I decided to post my take on her categories:


"I feel like there are tons of things about being a woman or an adult or even a mom, I should know. And it’s only when I come into a situation in which I should clearly be able to effectively function, that I realize, I have no idea what I’m doing..." --Brittany Gibbons
Domestic Shit. I like living alone. More than I ever thought I would. I'm a big time extrovert, but I like my little quiet space. I don't want to live alone forever, but I'm enjoying it for now.
Lady Shit. Ten years ago I knew I'd be married and a mother by now. I also knew that boys would make more sense than they did then. The first thing isn't true, the second is slightly not a lie. Age does bring some good things like confidence, a growing ability to not shout every awkward thing that comes to mind, and an ability to communicate what I want. And boys like it when you know what you want. There's even a boy in my life these days, maybe not a forever-in-my-life guy, but someone whom I'm enjoying and who makes me smile. Like really smile. Warm fuzzies kinda crap. And for right now that's good enough. 
Friend Shit.  I'm an awesome friend. It is one of the few things in life I'm really good at. Well that, and reading. Like it could be a legit skill on my résumé. Even though we live in different states I talk to my besties multiple times a week. About everything. Everything. And I would do anything for them, like give them my kidney, or money (if I had any), or raise their kids for them if they and their spouse died in a horrific fire. I take care of them and they take care of me. We're close like family. They're an extension of me and without them I suffer phantom pains. 
Work Shit.  I am terrified of Excel. Like it makes me almost sweat when someone says, "You should put that into an Excel spreadsheet." I usually wind up giving them an awesome Word table of sorts instead.. A lot of days I think, "how the hell am I in charge?!" I'm still kinda waiting for Ashton Kutcher to bust in so I'll know I was punk'd. My management style has been likened to Michael's from The Office. Literally. I was mostly flattered. Only a little part of me thought, "I'm not doing anything wrong, right?!" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?