I survived my first ALA Conference

Was going to post while at ALA, but 1. I didn't bring my computer and 2. though I had access to my iPhone, when I wasn't conferencing I was too busy having fun. I LOVE CHICAGO. It was so nice to be back in the city, a little over a year since my last trip in. I went in prepared to feel a little overwhelmed, which I did, initially--I mean there were about 20,000+ people there!--but, I played it smart and decided to only attend speakers and sessions that were around McCormick Place, choosing to avoid hitting the outlier sessions. Even though I came with a schedule of what I wanted to see and do, I lived in the moment and switched up my schedule if I saw something that caught my eye. I also wasn't sure how much time I would spend in the Exhibitors Hall (7 hours!?) or how tired I would be each day!

Things I learned at my first American Library Association Conference:
  • Wear comfy shoes. I chose Tevas, which actually didn't look as bad as I thought they would with skirts. 
  • Don't feel bad about dressing down: I saw EVERY kind of librarian dress--hipsters with ironic cat sweaters; Abercrombie model malebrarians with Jonas Bros. skinny jeans; sweater and sensible pants older set librarians with glasses and chains; every kind. And lots of people were wearing jeans. I dressed up for the first two days (especially at a session where I had to give a speech and accept an award), but wore jeans the last day. 
  • Talk to people, everybody and anybody, you'll be really surprised at the connections you make!
  • Bring a water bottle you can refill
  • Bring snacks--the Conference Center food was overpriced and terrible so I was starving marvin by the end of each day
  • Hit as many vendors as you can, take their free swag, they want you too!
  • Bring some cash if you want to buy stuff from the Conference's ALA store or to buy books for yourself/your library to have authors sign!
  • Bring a camera or phone with camera capability; be a paparazzi! You won't be disappointed and you might be surprised by the photo ops that arise!
  • When we registered we were given ALA handbags, and many of the vendors give you those too, but with all the other swag and free stuff I accumulated I was really glad I brought a back pack--my arms got really tired of carrying all the swag bags, so I tossed everything in my backpack and kept trooping on.
  • STRETCH! Take time to relax and stretch--my muscles were definitely tight by the end of the day. I found a corner of the Conference Ctr. that wasn't being used and did some downward facing dogs and other yoga stretches--no lie. 
  • Try and go to the free receptions that your vendors offer. I didn't take advantage of this because I was staying with a friend who took me out for dinners, but if I were to go to another conference I would definitely hit these up. Can we say FREE!?
  • Don't be afraid to get up during a session and sneak out so you can try another one if you're not enjoying something
  • Don't feel bad about leaving before the end of the day. No sense falling asleep in a session. Take a break. Go get a beer, catch up with others about their Conference experience thus far, and get rested up and ready for the next day!
  • Bring business cards: I wound up giving more of these to vendors than other librarians, but I was glad I'd brought some.
  • After the Conference follow up with people you met/connected with; you never know who may wind up being a future co-worker or boss
  • Eat local food. I love Chicago dogs and Chicago style pizza, so when Scott asked me where he should take me for dinner, those were the two things I requested; and what better way to eat good local food, than have a local take you out to the good restaurants!
  • Enjoy every minute. Even though it's crazy busy, and you get tired of long bathroom lines, this is definitely a helluva an experience!
Mid-winter Conference is in Philly...fantasizing about going...and what about next summer's conference in Las Vegas...?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH