books for 1st graders while I'm catching my breath


So much stuff to catch up on--life has been happening and I feel like I've been tottering from one thing to the next like a drunk toddler. The long and the short of it:
  • My uncle died from cancer last week, so had to take some personal time to go home.
  • Came back in time for a conference last week, only to head to South Carolina last Friday for some family time we've been planning on for over half a year (first time we've had Mom, all the sibs and spouses, and nieces and nephews together since my Dad died; my sis-in-law Dayna and niece Savannah weren't part of the family back then!)
  • Came back to work Monday to catch up on so many things (computer ordering happened while I was on vacation, now dealing with all the fun things that go with that!)

Anyway, I'm back, much I want to write about on a hundred things, but for now, as promised:

1st GRADE RECOMMENDED BOOKS

Picture books to read aloud
Amos and Boris, by William Steig – also Doctor Desoto and Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
Beatrix Potter books – I know they got them as an infant, but now is the time to read them!
Bunny Cakes, by Rosemary Wells
A Chair for My Mother, by Vera Williams
Chester’s Way, by Kevin Henkes – any of his books actually!
Dahlia, by Barbara McClintock
Edward and the Pirates, by David McPhail
House for Hermit Crab, by Eric Carle
I am Really a Princess, by Carol Diggory Shields
Ira Sleeps Over, by Bernard Waber – and House on East 88th Street
Jethro Byrd, Fairy Child, by Bob Graham
The Jolly Postman, by Allan Ahlberg
Koala Lou, by Mem Fox – also Possum Magic
King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub, by Don & Audrey Wood
Library Lion, by Michelle Knudsen
The Little House, by Virginia Lee Burton
Little Red Hen, illus. by Jerry Pinkney
Little Red Riding Hood, by Trina Schart Hyman
Miss Tizzy, by Libba Moore Gray
My Father’s Dragon series, by Ruth Gannet
The Nutshell Library, by Maurice Sendak
Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen
Raising Dragons, by Jerdine Nolen
Sam and the Tigers: A New Retelling of Little Black Sambo, by Julius Lester
Sand Castle, by Brenda Shannon Yee
Skippyjon Jones, by Judith Byron Schachner and its sequels
Snip, Snap! What’s That? by Mara Bergman
Strega Nona, by Tomie DePaola
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown, by Cressida Cowell
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears, by Leo and Diane Dillon
Winnie-the-Pooh, by A.A. Milne (Yes, now!)
You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You, by Mary Ann Hoberman

First Grade Readers
Biscuit series, by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
Brand New Readers series, by Candlewick Press (various authors)
Cat in the Hat, by Dr. Seuss
Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa series, by Kate Silverman
Frog and Toad series, by Arnold Lobel
Henry & Mudge series, by Cynthia Rylant
Hop on Pop, by Dr. Seuss
I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean, by Kevin Sherry
Little Bear series, by Else Holmelund Minarik
Mr. Putter and Tabby series, by Cynthia Rylant
Move Over Rover, by Karen Beaumont
Snowball, by Jennifer Armstrong
Today I Will Fly, by Mo Willems and others in same series
Yo! Yes! by Chris Raschka

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?