murders in the morgue

Did you know that on this day in 1841 the first detective story is published: The Murders in the Rue Morgue, by Edgar Allan Poe, which appeared in "Graham's Lady's and Gentleman's Magazine." 
  Sometimes I miss being a college student and having someone assign authors and stories to me; the semester that I took 19th century U.S. lit meant I spent a good deal of time reading Poe. Though all I can scrape together from my memory are fragmented lines from "The Raven," I remember enjoying what I read...I think I need to revisit him soon. 

"...Our first meeting was at an obscure library in the Rue Montmartre, where the accident of our both being in search of the same very rare and very remarkable volume, brought us into closer communion..." --Edgar Allan Poe, excerpt from The Murders in the Rue Morgue

For the full text.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH