out of the shadows

This week I checked out one of our new books: Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows, Richard Cahan and Michael Williams; I knew nothing of Maier (pronounced "Meyer,") other than that she was a photographer. I didn't know that Maier took over 100,000 negatives during her lifetime, most of which she never developed, due perhaps to her financial situation. Unable to pay the rent on her storage unit, her items were auctioned off, and eventually someone began developing her film/examining her prints and discovered the genius of her photography. Maier died in 2009, leaving behind reminders of days gone by (photos in this book cover 1940s-1970s NYC, Chicago, Florida, France/the Alps) and a certain mystery around herself...even those who knew her best, didn't seem to know much.

The book itself is simple in it's presentation, giving just enough back-story to inform, without taking away from the true purpose--to share these AMAZING black and white photos. I can't tell you enough how much I love the photos in this book...I was left yearning to see the world that my grandparents and parents saw in their younger days! Well, see for yourself...

Self portrait, she did many





I LOVE this photo, so so much

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH