Week 8, almost...

Tomorrow I begin my 8th week of work at Sticks Library! I can't believe I've been living here for that long, and aside from some homesickness/loneliness, I'm starting to know my way around the place and recognize others in the community. So, in honor of week 8, I've put together a list of living-in-a-small-rural-Midwestern-town-isms:
Everyone knows everyone
We have drive-thru liquor stores. DRIVE-THRU!! Yes, you can also buy snacks and pop, and they do have the best donuts in town and the cheapest coffee...but LIQUOR in a DRIVE-THRU! It boggles my mind and makes me smile every time I drive past the damn store.
The price of this seasons crops makes its way into dinner conversation
A $7 dollar sandwich at a nicer restuarant is expensive
Football is taken very seriously (WHICH I LOVE); when anyone learns that I am from Michigan their first questions EVERY TIME is, "who do you root for?"--they mean do I support Ohio State or Michigan. If you know anything about football, you know this is a BIG rivalry; of course I say Michigan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?