nothing gold can stay

As I was driving out to my new city this past weekend (which I will hence forth refer to as Sticks, since it's in the middle of nowhere), I was marveling at the loveliness of the corn fields and trees and wide, open spaces. My heart was swelling with contentment. I must have looked like a lunatic, stopping to snap a photo on my camera, sending it to my brother with the caption, "Look! Fields again!" I am so happy. So happy to be getting back to the country; so happy and grateful for this new job/opportunity. I was and still am heart brimmingly happy! I am living in this glow that I know will eventually fade, so I am clinging to it and just being happy it's mine for a while. Ah, the fleeting wonder of things, like the fall, which is creeping up on us. Fall makes me think of this poem...which makes me think of The Outsiders, and damn it! Now, I have to watch the movie...
 
"Nothing Gold Can Stay"

Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay.

--Robert Frost

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?