nine lives

In Laura Hillenbrand's 2010 bestseller, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, we meet Louis Zamperini, a juvenile delinquent turned U.S. Olympic runner; but what makes his story special is Zamperini's exploits during WWII. Trained as a pilot after the war begins, Zamperini lives through a horrendous crash, only to be stranded aboard a life raft, eventually discovered by the Japanese--but I won't say more because I don't want to give anything away!

Hillenbrand tells a good story with enough details to be interesting, but not boring; Her storytelling is absorbing and moves things along at a rapid clip. I read this book in two nights. I even read the Acknowledgements at the end of the book and I never do that. I loved this book. And now I want to read Seabiscuit (though I've seen the movie).

Would I recommend this: Hells yes! I already have. SO. GOOD.

There is another synopsis of the book here (the article also talks about an alleged movie version--is there anything that doesn't get turned into a movie anymore?!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH