walking towards good

My Newbery reading challenge recently led me to Sharon Creech's 1995 Newbery medal winner, Walk Two Moonswhich I ABSOLUTELY LOVED--a much needed breath of fresh air after reading The Secret of the Andes and The Cat Who Went to Heaven, both books which I DID NOT enjoy.
Walk Two Moons is many stories within a story; the stories unfold as Salamanca Hiddle (our narrator) goes on a roadtrip with her grandparents from Euclid, Ohio to Lewiston, Idaho (occassionally dipping back to Bybanks, Kentucky). With occasional funny comments from her grandparents and flashes to the present time with them, Salamanca takes us on an adventure where we discover the mysteries of the lunatic, Ms. Cadaver, and the Winterbottoms.

Creech does a wonderful job of twisting the plot and keeping the readers guessing, but what I loved even more than that was the character development that takes place in Salamanca--we see her grow into a different, more empathetic girl by the end of the novel...and did I say how much I LOVED IT!

Recommend? YES!

Ages: Amazon recommends ages 8+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH