losing faith in Newbery winners

Some time back I finished another Newbery award winner, The Midwife's Apprentice, a book I was looking forward to both in its plot and brevity, but finished it feeling nothing but relief. I like the idea of the story: a nameless girl wanders from place to place eventually finding herself in the job of being, yep, you guessed it, the midwife's apprentice; a girl who learns how to stand up to the things that confront themselves as challenges (both people and situations in her life)...but I just didn't like it.

I was so glad to be done with it, excited to move on to another book...though now I am reading The Wheel on the School, Meindert DeJong, illus. Maurice Sendak--this is proving to be terrible...not quite Miss Hickory bad, but pretty close...I am losing faith in Newberry winners, seems like the bads are outweighing the goods...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH