more fast reviews

Too Princessy!, Jean Reidy, illus. Genevieve Leloup

Simple rhyming book; I guess you could possibly say that this book introduces kids to new vocabulary, i.e. "jolly." I did not care for Too Princessy, it felt like it lacked any movement, just a series of pictures with language like, "Too diggy, too dumpy..." I am not sure what age audience this book is intended for? Maybe the younger crowd will enjoy Leloup's brightly colored pictures...? Ages: ?



Chalk, Bill Thomson

I keep finding exceptions to my hate of wordless books, and in Chalk I found another! Watching (and it truly felt like watching) the kids discover some chalk, which brings the drawn creations to life, left me feeling a little envious, and also got the wheels of my imagination turning--thinking of what I might draw. Of course someone takes things too far by creating a dinosaur and how the kids deal with the dino is a cute example of kids thinking on their feet. I really liked this book; another great tool for having kids tell you the story, thus aiding them in their abilities of mastering language and the flow of a story. Ages: 3-Up.

Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet, Jane O'Connor, illus. Robin Preiss Glasser

I have an unhealthy distrust and disdain of certain series of books (i.e. Arthur, Clifford, Spot). I am not sure where this came from as I love other series (i.e. The Berenstain Bears, Little House on the Prarie)...I think it's actually that I hate when books are made into cartoons and then what was once a great book has come to feel like something that has just become a series based around the show. (Yes, yes, I know both Berenstain Bears and Little House are shows too...but that's different...) Anyway, I was expecting to hate this book and cringed when I picked it up, but instead found myself loving it from page one!

I loved that the book introduces new vocabulary and Fancy Nancy tells you what it means!--"I have thrilling news--thrilling means terrific and exciting all mixed together." (*This reminded of Lemony Snicket)

I like that O'Connor created in Fancy Nancy a character which kids could identify with, giving her a range of emotions and a shot at redemption when she's jealous about her friend getting a part she wanted.

Ages: 3-Up

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH