entirely true and wildly fictional

Dead End in Norvelt, Jack Gantos
 Much like I felt when I began Gary Schmidt’s Okay for Now, I wasn’t immediately lured into the story…that was until things got rolling. Gantos’ book, which touts being: “entirely true and the wildly fictional,” pulls you into the ridiculous world of grounded-for-the-summer-Jack (the boy with the nose bleeds brought on my fear/stress/nervousness) and his small town of Norvelt. What I found the most interesting and absolutely loved was how Gantos weaved the deceased person’s story (as told through the obituaries) together with universal themes of human experience and history. When this story seems like it can’t get any weirder, it does. I can honestly say I’ve never read a book which featured: Hells Angels bikers, Girl Scouts cookies, funeral home escapades and a back yard landing strip all at the same time…intrigued yet? Check it out!
Amazon recommends ages 10 years - up

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH