thinking food post Fat Tuesday

The irony of doing a blog about a book called, Food Rules: an eaters manual (Michael Pollan, illus. by Maira Kalman), after yesterday's over indulgences in paczkis and Girl Scout cookies is not lost on me.

The illustrated version.
I ordered this book because I read a good review, though honestly, I was a little skeptical. I wasn't skeptical of Pollan; I think he's brilliant and I think his books feature both a lot of common sense and understanding about what western culture has done to food; I was skeptical of getting tired of the book before I finished it. Though I think his books are fascinating and well researched, they sometimes wear me out before I've gotten to the end. So, this was the perfect book for me, well, probably the perfect book for lots of people--both adults and kids. It's a small, fast read with wonderful and witty illustrations by Maira Kalman.

Food Rules: an eaters manual (aside from its introduction) is just that--food rules. A short book which features suggestions on how to be a better eater, how to make sure what is going into your body is good FOR your body; Pollan consulted nutritionists, dieticians, anthropologist, as well as good old fashioned grandmotherly wisdom, to come up with rules like, "If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're probably not hungry." OR, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." A how to eat right guide of sorts which doesn't leave you feeling ashamed, but rather encourages you to make better choices.

The non-illustrated version.
I loved it. I loved it. I loved it. I think this book is great for adults, definitely great for teens and older elementary aged kids--something educators or parents could use when discussing healthy food choices. Kudos Mr. Pollan! Well done!

Also, came across this awesome short video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH