struck



After reading Brian Selznick’s The Invention of Hugo Cabret, I was looking forward to Wonderstruck, and I was NOT disappointed! If anything I think Wonderstruck was even better than Hugo. Selznick again uses his gift of storytelling through the pictures which don't just enhance the story, but move the story along.  And the stories are what make speed you through this this 450+ page book.   

Selznick dances through time, allowing the reader to try and figure out the mystery of Ben’s Dad in the 1970s, juxtaposed against the mysterious girl we meet when the story takes a turn--the readers journey is in following both children on their mysterious quests. 


The drawings are detailed and amazing. The story is interesting. I loved it. I loved it even more than Huge Cabret. 

Here's a great review on NPR



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH