summer reading

As you can imagine we get a lot of people at the library looking for the perfect books for their summer vacations].

This summer I've been reading a strange brew of books; from Edith Wharton, to a sprinkling of scattered (WHOREY!) chapters by Chelsea Handler, to an interesting smattering of books on topics from homesteading to farming to gardening to food.

Here's some of the books which I've read: 
  • The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
    A look into the upper class of (Gilded Age) New York; the rules that governed those who strove to be a part of that class. One man's struggle to be a part of this class while hating the rules he must live by, which govern who he can love. LOVED the story, but not until the very end.
  • House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
    Following Lily Bart through her falls from grace and the social ladder. Another one of Wharton's keen observations about upper class (Gilded Age) New York. Good book, not my favorite.
  • Twain's Feast: searching for America's lost food in the footsteps of Samuel Clemens, Andrew Beahrs
    I loved this book (recommended by Farmbrarian!). I loved how the history of Twain's desired foods was woven into his books, the history of the foods, and the man himself. GREAT READ, especially if you LOVE food.
  • The Wisdom of the Radish: and other lessons learned on a small farm, Lynda Hopkins
    Cute read about small farming. Not as good as The Dirty Life, but I enjoyed it. Hopkins had a lovely way of explaining the growing season on her farm that made me smile and feel like somebody else "gets it."
  • Anything by Chelsea Handler. I think I literally checked out all of her books and read/listened to snippets of all of them. I love Chelsea Lately, but her books, albeit funny, were a little too much for me. I guess I am just a Chelsea in small doses kind of gal.

    Here's what I'm enjoying now:
  • Sarah's Key, Tatiana de Rosnay
    This isn't the most well written book I've ever read, however it is in that genre of popular modern fiction which touches on important historical perspectives. Sarah's Key examines the horrors inflicted upon the Jews of Paris (July 1942) by the PARISIAN Police. It is based on the real life Vel' d'Hiv Roundup) It has already been made into a film--to be honest that's why I am reading it, I LOVE Kristin Scott Thomas. It has sucked me in enough that I am eager to get back into my car after work tonight and keep listening to the story!
  • The Perks of being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky
    I am reading this for two reason: 1. I think it was Librarianista, (back in grad school, eight million years ago) who recommended this because, if I remember correctly, she really liked it. 2. The movie is due out soon and Emma Watson's in it and I loved Emma Watson in HP...so...yes, I am that lame.
And in case my recommendations didn't suit you, maybe some of these NPR lists will:
Food Memoirs
Summer Sports Books
Teen reads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH