staying together

Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.
-- Charles M. Schulz

I have been missing lately. Missing my best friends L&K since I got back from the Virgin Islands, where we were able to spend tons of time together; missing MummyDearest and her family since their recent move to North Carolina; missing my other bestie Kim and our frank conversations; missing College Kim and how we can watch God -awful chick flicks and laugh insanely; missing my family. 

Missing the family dinners; the conversations around the table; missing the very way that I would sit with my back to the deck, feeling the breeze blow in and over the lattice work, reaching in to ruffle my shirt as I leaned forward and listened to my Dad's stories. I miss spending time with my Mom and Dad, especially the time we shared in those last few years before Dad died, when I could get away from school and go home for a dinner, an overnight, a weekend. 

I miss going to 8am Mass on Sundays when I was in college, when it wasn't the heel-dragging event of my teen years, rather time to meditate and examine how the church of my youth had changed (or not), to notice how I'd outgrown the old pre-Vatican II feeling of the place. The three of us would take our own communion in the breakfast meal after Mass; would sit and eat,  connecting again around the table. I even miss my Dad's food: the bacon, eggs, English muffins and coffee he made, how it tasted better than anything on those mornings--how is that?. The word sustaining comes to mind. I miss those lazy days when neither of my parents had to work, neither had to be somewhere but there, with me.  I miss the pleas for me to stay longer, stay for dinner, please I seldom heeded--I had school work, plans with friends and there was always next weekend...It's amazing how those are the days I miss the most, the ones I want back the most. You always think there is more time, no?

So, for all those people I miss, here's a little Al Green sending some love.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH