many arts

During my last semester as an undergrad I was taking four English lit classes; wonderfully happy, while totally bogged down with tons of reading. One of my classes (my Senior Capstone to be exact) was Women Poets of the 20th Century, something that I was not looking forward to--I hated most female writers at the time--weird phase to have gone through!--but something that I wound up loving so much! One of the wonderful lady poets I was intro'd to that last semester of school was Adrienne Rich. A true gem. Enjoy!

"The Art of Translation"
1
To have seen you exactly, once:
red hair over cold cheeks fresh from the freeway
your lingo, your daunting and dauntless
eyes. But then to lift toward home, mile upon mile
back where they'd barely heard your name
--neither as terrorist nor as genius would they detain you--
to wing it back to my country bearing
your war-flecked protocols--
that was a mission, surely: my art's pouch
crammed with your bristling juices
sweet dark drops of your spirit
that streaked the pouch, the shirt I wore
and the bench on which I leaned.
 
2
It's only a branch like any other
green with the flare of life in it
and if I hold this end, you the other
that means it's broken
broken between us, broken despite us
broken and therefore dying
broken by force, broken by lying
green, with the flare of life in it
 
3
But say we're crouching on the ground like children
over a mess of marbles, soda caps, foil, old foreign coins
--the first truly precious objects. Rusty hooks, glass.
Say I saw the earring first but you wanted it.
Then you wanted the words I'd found. I'd give you
the earring, crushed lapis if it were,
I would look long at the beach glass and the sharded self
of the lightbulb. Long I'd look into your hand
at the obsolete copper profile, the cat's-eye, the lapis.
Like a thief I would deny the words, deny they ever
existed, were spoken, or could be spoken,
like a thief I'd bury them and remember where.
 
4
The trade names follow trade
the translators stopped at passport control:
Occupation: no such designation--
Journalist, maybe spy
?
That the books are for personal use
only--could I swear it?
That not a word of them
is contraband--how could I prove it?

-- Adrienne Rich

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH