Harper Lee HUZZAH!

Harper Lee and Truman Capote
I just read this article. I am so excited for Harper Lee, Joyce Carol Oates, Wendell Berry and Meryl Streep--among others--who are set to receive the National Medal of Art!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~ Harper Lee,  To Kill a Mockingbird

      “If you are a writer you locate yourself behind a wall of silence and no matter what you are doing, driving a car or walking or doing housework you can still be writing, because you have that space.” ~ Joyce Carol Oates

Harper Lee and hottie Gregory Peck
(Peck played Atticus Finch,
movie verion of To Kill a Mockingbird)



"When despair for the world grows in me, and I wake in the night at the least sound in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be -- I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought or grief. I come into the presence of still water. And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.” ~ Wendell Berry

"I believe in imagination. I did Kramer vs. Kramer before I had children. But the mother I would be was already inside me." ~ Meryl Streep

Pics found here and here.

Also, Massachusetts' Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival is also scheduled to receive an award!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?