fun places to visit--mitten edition

Here are two cool places which I've been able to visit while being home.
  • Owned by a friend of a friend, Filipo Marc Winery
    (39085 Garfield Road, Clinton Twp, MI 48038, (586) 226-3990)
    is a fun little shop with all things wine related. We were there for a wine tasting event, but after asking a few questions, were offered the grand tour by owner Gerard Giacona. The shop not only makes its own wines, but also offers opportunities for people to make their own wine (with supervision) and makes HUGE batches of wine to order for weddings/parties. If you are ever out on the East side, check this gem out!
  • The French Laundry  is absolutely, hands-down my favorite restaurant which I try and visit as many times as possible while I am home. I not only love love love the food, but I also love that the French Laundry offers cooking classes, wine/beer tastings and special dinners. I love the ambiance of the place, from the vines that grow up the back wall inside to the chalkboard with the days' big news stories. I love that the dining room looks out onto the main drag of the town I grew up in, looking across the street to where the some of the old mansions still remain. I love how much sunshine streams in the windows during the day, and how the evenings look and feel so cozy there. I love how the place only ever has good smells which envelop you when you walk in: rich coffee, bread and pastry, hot pasta, you name it. I love that I run into people I went to high school with while I am there, and other people who look so familiar in that small town you-were-probably-my-little-league-coach-or-thrid-grade-friends'-parent-kinda-way. I love that I have so many good memories of visits there with so many dear friends and family.

    The French Laundry is the kind of restaurant I have taken all my closest friends to; the kind of restaurant that I would hide from my mortal enemies. ;)  Next time you are passing through Fenton, stop and you WON'T be disappointed.
Photos found here and here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?