back to the cardigan

Article One, ArtStor. Biography Resource Center, ERIC, Gale Virtual Reference Library, GreenFILE, JSTOR, Lexis Nexis, MEDLINE, NoodleBib, Oxford Reference Online, PschINFO and World Almanac are just a few of the databases which I am now working with. Yep, you guessed it, I am again working in the library world. Since the early part of the year I have been volunteering at a lovely rural library not too far from the Farm, but starting today I am now also working at a nearby college library. The college--which we'll call Alternative U--is small, around 400 students and focuses on the arts and sciences. 

I must confess that I was a little nervous walking in tonight; the same sensation I felt when I showed up for my first shift at Purdy Kresge, Wayne State University's graduate library (back when I was still a lowly graduate student). Working at the Farm I sometimes forget that once-- seemingly in a life that I lived a hundred years ago--I was paid to help people find books, assist in research, just be helpful (these thought especially occur to me when I am elbow deep in meat or pasta). Though tonight I am not so sure about the being helpful part. I have already found myself unable to help two girls with some DVD player issues and then I sent another girl to the wrong part of the library in search of a book...she is still shooting me dirty looks. And I am only less than two hours into the job. Guess when I take my lunch break later I will again be going on a tour of the library. 


Best part of this job: getting back to working in my field, money
Worst part of this job: Sundays now mean working in the Kitchen 6:30am-2:30pm, working at the library 6pm-2am. Wednesdays will be a little like Sunday, but I am done at midnight. Everything's a trade-off. Wish me luck.

Comments

Mummy Dearest said…
GOOD LUCK!!! You can do it -- atleast for a while. And then you'll win the lottery, build your own library, and hire yourself there!
And then I'll hire you to be my "advisor," to help w big decisions like: what are we going to do today? Go to Harry Potter World or Disneyland. :)

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?