deep draughts

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it; but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains. I would drink deeper; fish in the sky, whose bottom is pebbly with stars. I cannot count one. I know not the first letter of the alphabet. I have always been regretting that I was not as wise as the day I was born."

~ Henry David Thoreau, Chapter 2: "Where I Lived, and What I Lived for," Walden

There is so much to mull over on a birthday, no? I spent the latter part of the (Thursday) evening decorating the house a little for my birthday party, which will be tonight (Friday), and now the house is silent and I find myself unprepared for sleep. I am wide awake in a quiet house: TSO is at another house dogsitting and RugbyGirl is upstairs sleeping, even Bravo cat is lurking around trying to find some entertainment in this waking time for us both.

At a little after midnight I rang in another birthday, celebrating with a glass of wine and a cigarette on our back porch, and found myself being mindful and thankful for so many things; thinking too of the passage of time and those we meet and sometimes take along with us on this journey. I sat outside on this dark night listening to the Farm noises around our home: the rushing water over stones and sandy stream bed; the gentle shifting of plant life with each hushed breath of the wind; the rustling of undergrowth as night creatures skittered about in search of dinner or adventures. In all of this I breathed such a sigh of contentment. Contentment for our sleepy community, its little successes and even its sometimes harsh reminders of the hard work we do; contentment for the ability to live in such a beautiful, bucolic place, where we can all feel so overwhelmingly sheltered and held and yet so safe and cozy and right in ourselves. And most of all, I thought of all the wonderful people I have had and still have in my life. So, I find myself on this, another birthday, the last of my twenties really grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH