Anyway, this week it was cool to note that the kids were doing the measurements a lot faster; even the younger kids now seem to be understanding how to read the measuring cups and spoons and look for the proper fractions.
After the kids finished the dry ingredients end of the recipe one of the mothers came in and read a story to the kids in Russian, and then told each kid how to say, "Hi, my name is ____" in Russian. (I found out just before class that she moved from Russia to the U.S. about 15 years ago! How perfect is that!?) It was a very cool class and the end of a long day.
The recipe for Russian Bakes Apples for any takers:
- Mix: 1/2 c. granulated sugar, 1 c. flour, 1 c. brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Slice 8 apples into thin pieces. (Macintosh Apples are great!)
- Butter a bread pan.
- Mix 1/3 Cup butter w/dry ingredients.
- Toss Apples w dry ingredients/butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.