a plethora of useless knowledge

As I celebrate another year of my life I look at all I have learned in 28 years.
28 years old!
When did that happen?
Holy cats!
I swear I was 12 like yesterday!

Anyway, I thought I would share some of the things that I have learned over the past 28 years:

  • Sometimes the solitude of a graveyard is not such a scary thing
  • Bumblebees can turn purple in that fat, furry yellow part of their body; depending on what type of nectar they drink
  • Holding a newborn child can really make you wonder at your own mortality
  • Crocuses are an amazing achievement of nature every spring
  • Magnetic poetry is like magic--words and sentences appears out of thin air
  • Reading Jack Handy-isms can make almost any day better
  • John Lennon was a visionary
  • The movie Gone with the Wind is long, but it is an even longer book
  • Jon Stewart is smart
  • The generational creation of/slanging down of words makes me hopeful that generations from now will look back at us and think of us as Shakespeares in our own right
  • Reading the Bible in chronological order is really frustrating
  • Doing service work was the best, hardest and most worthwhile time spent in my life
  • Those old Countrytime Lemonade commercials make me nostalgic
  • Family are the only people who can really appreciate the bizarreness that was your upbringing. Being great friends with your sibs is one of the best things you can do
  • Finishing a really good book can sometimes feel like saying goodbye to a good friend for a while
  • The pictures and articles in National Geographic still excite me as much as they did when I was ten
And now I share a great treasure; the poem I read at B1 &aB2's wedding, one of my favorites.
"I carry your heart"
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) i am never without it (anywhere i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling) i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true) and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
~ e.e. cummings

Comments

Pam said…
This post made me smile. The whole part about finishing a good book was exactly how I felt when the Harry Potter series ended...it was a sad moment.

Oh, and just so you know, bras DO cause cancer. A hippie told me, so it has to be true.

Mind you, she also said that people in the armed services are given pills that cause them to have post traumatic stress disorder as a means of governmental control, so take it with a grain of salt.
Pam, I felt exactly the same way when I finished HP. It is like you are walking away from a good friendship without knowing when you will see each other again!

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?