the children, they know

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins, and there the grass grows soft and white
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we’ll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we’ll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

~ Shel Silverstein

Saturday I decided to do some cleaning and sorting of Pandora’s Box (my God, if that doesn’t sound filthy!) Pandora’s Box is what I call this huge fire proof box I have which I bought my first year of college. It is the box where I keep all my journals from the past 15 years, photographs, letters, etc., just in case. So, I went through and sorted and organized (so I could fit in more junk) and looked at some of the old pictures inside. The job I was dreading provided me with some good laughs and smiles and was a good way to get me into the mind frame to spend the evening with my family.

A3 and I drove out to sister A1 &M’s house to celebrate Monster Nephew’s 2nd birthday, which was Friday. After a delicious dinner out we headed home to not only eat cake and blow out candles, etc., etc., but also to watch as Monster Nephew A got his first haircut. My sister refused to cut Monster Nephews hair before he turned two, a point which we all protested against as his cute “baby curls” grew longer and longer over the past months with the end result that our cute little Monster Nephew had a “business in the front, party in the back,” MULLET!

Bro-in-law M filmed as A1 cut Monster Nephew’s hair, trimming off the baby curls and transforming our little mullet man into a clean cut little boy. It is amazing how something as simple as a haircut of a child can make them look entirely different. Our little monster, who seemed to be born just yesterday, has somehow seemingly overnight turned into this running, talking, laughing (such a happy kid!) child.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONSTER NEPHEW--WE ARE SO GLAD YOU CAME INTO OUR LIVES!!

After presents we played a game called “Elefun.” It is a plastic elephant with a trunk made out of tarp-like plastic. When you flip the switch a fan kicks on, causing the elephant’s trunk to inflate and blow butterflies into the air, which you have to catch with nets. Oh, my God! I laughed so hard as we played that game and my bro A3 competed with the kids for butterflies. So much fun!! If you see it pick it up for the kiddies (also can double as a drinking game. WHA?!)

Below are some of the pics of Monster Nephew getting his hair cut, and with his cake.

Monster Nephew being a ham as we wet his hair!

Posing before the cutting began--Look at those long locks!
Post cut, making one of many of his Zoolander faces. I think Uncle A3 taught him that face.
Our grown-up 2 year old after his hair cut. Still has some little waves and curls like Aunt Monster!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH