busy Friday and manic Saturday

Life never ceases to amaze me. This weekend fell together in a most unforseen fashion.

Work went well Friday. My Friday friends from the nearby school came and we read books about gardens. Between groups I worked on our VHS/DVD collection. We are taking all the pieces in the collection and relabeling them; i.e. going from "B" for Bambi to "BAM," so that things are easier to find without reading the entire label. I am also relabeling some of the pieces so there is a sense of conformity and a sensical approach to finding things. For example, Elmo movies have been under "E," while the rest of Sesame Street has been under "S." I have gone through putting things in like series all together so it is easier to find things. I hope this approach works. We shall see I suppose.

My friend Becca, from my previous life as a farmer, came for a short visit Friday night. She arrived Friday afternoon and we went for dinner with roomie M and her sister JillyBean. It was so nice to sit at the coffee shop and catch up on life, Becca and I. Sitting there talking to her reminded me how much I miss the more liberal sensibilities of my old life out East and my friends out there. Thanks for visiting Becca! Now, I need to return the call and head to Chicago soon.

Friday night didn't end there. I met Chris and A.E. for drinks to celebrate A.E.'s recent birthday and we stayed out until the early hours of the morning.

It was amazing how restless I found myself at 2am when I arrived home, so I started A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis. When Dad died people suggested and gave me books to read about grieving, but to no avail. While the gesture was appreciated, the books were all terrible, so I gave up trying to read anything that might offer some sort of solace. I must say this book blew me away. While Lewis wrote it about the grief he was experiencing from his wife's passing, it is very apt for any death related grief.

Saturday was a disastrous day. A3 and I headed to Mom and Dad's house to help wrap up packing. While working in the garage A3 tried to move an old table saw out of the garage, which upon beginning to tip he tried to steady. What we didn't realize is that one of the heavy parts of the saw was quite moveable and slide down and smashed A3's hand.

A3 and I spent the whole of the day at the ER, with A3 leaving with multiple broken bones in his hand and one compound fracture. I have to say that if I have to spend an entire afternoon in an ER, spending it with A3 can make the time pass quickly. I am so thankful that A3 and I are such friends. I am so glad that I am not an only child.

Saturday afternoon as I headed to Mass to share my Grad reflection, A3 caught a plane for FL to meet his ship. A3 and some of his friends who also graduated are all going on a week long cruise to Cozumel, Belize and the Cayman Islands. I feel so bad that A3 will not be able to go swimming and scuba diving, if anyone deserves a good break it is A3.

By Saturday night I was exhausted and mentally trying to prepare myself for today. Some nights there is nothing so comforting as a warm bed and a cool breeze from the window.


Mummy Dearest said…
Ouch! Tell A3 that there are physical therapists that specialize in hand therapy. There are so many bones and muscles in there that if you hurt it badly enough, you can lose some mobility and ROM. And specialists will know how to get maximum strength and help him recover quickly. Hope he has fun on his cruise, though!
Thanks Mummy! The bitch of it is that A3's insurance at work doesn't kick in for another 3 mos, unless he can get them to start it effective immediately. (Fingers crossed). :( Poor A3--the ER visit alone is VERY EXPENSIVE!

Popular posts from this blog

My Community Analysis Paper

from a tin forest to the story of two mice

sample retirement acceptance letter