Imagine

I don't follow the lives of many actors or musicians. They seem a fickle breed.

But one that I always loved and idolized as a kid and teen, and I guess even a little today, is John Lennon. I loved John Lennon of the Beatles, and as I grew up I learned to love John Lennon without the Beatles. I love that Lennon marched to his own drum; defied social norms of his time. Lennon, born October 9, 1940, was killed December 1980, not long after I was born, yet his music continutes to inspire today's generation of musicians, poets, and lovers.

I was fortunate enough to travel a lot when I lived in Massachusetts, both within the state and through New England. One of the clearest memories I have of my visits to New York City is walking on a cold December day, stopping to sit in the Strawberry Fields Forever, in Central Park. The area is a tribute to Lennon, created in his favorite part of the park, not far from the Dakota Hotel where he was shot.

At that time, in that moment, I was so confused as to what I was doing with my life. Funny looking back on that day now, though it wasn't that long ago, I think, "what the hell was the hurry?" I was preparing to leave the home I had made for myself out East, and yet I wasn't even sure what I might leave it for. I walked over the flagstone path, looked at the vacant beds that housed flowers in the warmer months, and finally settled myself on a bench overlooking the word, "Imagine." How amazing that one word can put something in perspective. Imagine all the possibilities.

So for anyone else out there that loves John Lennon, these links are for you!

Jealous Guy

Stand by Me (B.B. King song)

Woman

Instant Karma

Give Peace a chance

Beautiful Boy

Across the Universe (Beatles)

Two of Us (Beatles)

John Lennon for kids

Happy Birthday John Lennon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?