Future Librarian?

At work again-swear I never leave this place. But it is totally empty and silent and nice. Helping out with some things for the kids reading program so reading a 4th grade level book and noticing that I am uber envious of some of the things that kids have to read these days. Maybe I was just book sheltered. I remember reading the Bobbsey Twins for Heaven's sake!
Anyway, off on a tangent! Just had the best conversation with this 8 year old who was looking for Ramona books (Beverly Cleary). She said to me, "ya know, last year I hated to read, but this year I love it, and I wish I could stay home from school and read." I assured her that I had felt the same thing and told her that I was going to school to become a librarian because I loved reading and books so much.
It was a great conversation, and I left her there to explore the numerous Cleary titles that we have here at the library; most that I too had read when I was that 8 year old who wanted to stay home and do nothing more than read. I had to grin as I walked away-maybe she will be the one going into library school 15 years from now…food for thought…

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amanda,
Do you remember having career day in Middle School? I can't remember if it was 7th or 8th grade... but I do remember a presentation by a graphic designer by the name of Kim.. I walked away knowing it was the career I wanted.. I no longer had to wonder what kind of art I could get a job with... AND HER NAME WAS KIM.. how weird is that??

what presentations did you go to that day?

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?