double book review

Prairie Dawn has done an AWESOME job of bringing a teen base back to the Library--a great group of teens who are actually asking us to do things like a Teen Book Group twice a month and a Teen Advisory Group, and more teen activities. And holy cats! It's great! They're also giving P.D. and I loads of book suggestions, so thought I would share these really fun and absorbing books by Kenneth Oppel in a DOUBLE BOOK REVIEW!

In This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, twin brothers Victor and Konrad Frankenstein and their beautiful cousin Elizabeth lead a charmed life: wealth, a loving family, and their family chateau, of which they know every inch...or so they thought. In discovering a hidden Dark Library, and even against his father's forbidding, Victor is drawn back to the place and a book which contains a recipe for an Elixir of Life. With the help of the others and the brothers' best friend Henry, the teens set off on a quest that may just prove deadly!

This book was a really fun read and always left me guessing what would come next. Oppel admitted not wanting to write a book with a famous literary character as its' center, but when ideas came to him he put them down on paper and I wasn't disappointed with the end result!

Without giving anything from Book 1 away, Such Wicked Intent: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein Book II sucked me in and was a book that I couldn't put down! As if discovering a Dark Library wasn't enough, even more secrets of the Frankenstein chateau are discovered in this book; Victor becomes increasingly fixated on finding a way to communicate with and bring back the dead. Friendships are tested; jealousy runs high; a love triangle continues! I want to say so much, but don't want to give anything away from book 1--I enjoyed this book as much if not more than This Dark Intent!

If you are looking for something fun, read these! I am bummed to see that Oppel still hasn't said when the 3rd book is due out--gah!! I hate that! I guess I need to fall into another YA series...think I'm trying City of Bone next. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?