from a tin forest to the story of two mice

From The Tin Forest, Helen Ward, illus. Wayne Anderson
I first discovered Helen Ward when I bought a copy of her The Tin Forest--the story of a man who in his solitude creates for himself a tin forest; once he builds a replica of the real things he desires, it is only a matter of time before real plants and animals begin to appear in the tin forest--at a used book sale at one of my old libraries when I was in grad school. What makes Ward stand out is that she always paints an intimate story, including details that pull you into the world of the story. I just love her!


  We recently got a copy of Helen Ward's The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse; not a new story, but merely a retelling and re-illustrating of a Aesop's classic. I LOVE Helen Ward's artwork, which is a feast for the senses, so full of color, lavish artwork that leaves you feeling as contented as that adorable country mouse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

meditating through my HULK SMASH