Oh, Dearie!

I recently read and LOVED Bob Spitz's new biography on Julia Child, Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child

Like many others I looked upon Julia Child with fascinating eyes growing up; she was this tall women with a funny, quavering voice, someone to laugh at, except there was something so damn endearing about her. I grew to enjoy watching her shows when I ran across them, and along with the Frugal Gourmet, and of course, my Mom, attribute my early love of cooking to her.

Then, like many people, I grew up and forgot about Julia until I saw the movie, "Julie and Julia,"--based on Julie Powell's book: Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously.--I remembered that goofy laugh and way that she talked to YOU, not the camera, and made recipes so simple! I was smitten again. After the movie I went on to read Julia's co-written autobiography, My-Life-France and her back and forth letters with Avis DeVoto in, As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto and poured over her trilogy of Mastering (even getting new copies of both books donated to the Kitchen at the Farm). 

And now, like many others, I've rediscovered Julia in cooking and in person through Spitz's amazing and very thorough bio. This book  paints a very honest version of Julia Child, based on accounts from family, close friends, and fellow chefs; also delving into her influence on cooking in the United States and her work to continue the education of others in the field of the culinary arts--what a remarkable life, indeed! Spitz's book was fantastic in its' ability to not only paint a picture of Julia Child, but also make you feel like she was someone you knew too...really knew. And some of the things that she reportedly said made me laugh outloud. If you didn't realize what an amazing American icon she was before now, read this book and you'll be singing a different tune!

Ages: ADULT

Would I recommend: WITH ENTHUSIASM!!

And remember before you begin this book, *Said with true Julia gusto: "Bon Appétit!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?