tour of tastes weekend

First, let me start off by saying, Happy Veterans Day! Thank you U.S. Veterans for all you've done and continue to do for our country and in protecting our freedoms. I definitely spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about both my Grandpas, my Dad, both my brothers, and countless aunts, uncles, and cousins who've served our country! Because of Veteran's Day, Sticks Library was closed today, giving me a glorious three day weekend! And man, this weekend left me full bellied. I headed to the Mitten on Saturday afternoon, staying with bestie L and her gang, and had a weekend absolutely packed with good friends and amazing food.

Saturday found us gorging on food and drink at our friends K& C's new home in Royal Oak. Royal Oak in recent years has become a total hotspot in southeastern Michigan, a place where many late 20/early 30 somethings are settling down, probably due in part to the great downtown chock full of good restaurants/bars and local shops. It still seems so strange to think of my friends settling down there since I associate Royal Oak so much with the bar scene of our 20s, when we used to kick around it in our glory days. *Sigh* 

Sunday found me back there, meeting up with my favorite Auntie Ruthie at Black Finn, in Royal Oak. Black Finn opened a few years ago when my brother A3 was still living in Royal Oak, and quick became our hangout for a minute; nights feature music and dancing and a stocked bar, so I was surprised to find that they also serve a great lunch. If you're ever in there try the veggie black bean burger (with bacon!!), so damn delicious!! It was lovely weather on Saturday, just perfect for wandering around with a coffee after a good meal...

Dinner meant meeting up with friends from one of my old libraries, my first "real" library job right after I graduated from my Masters program. So good to see three of the other librarians and catch up on life. We ate at one of my favorite restaurants, Buddy's Pizza in Auburn Hills--they claim to serve "Detroit's #1 Square Pizza since 1946"--feasting on their damn delicious pizza and Greek salad. I love love love Buddy's Pizza and it's one of the things I miss most (yes, yes, aside from family and friends) about not living in Michigan.

And this morning AGAIN found me again at in Royal Oak, this time with bestie L and our friend Pam from The Light of the World is Flickering, at Café Muse, sharing cups of coffee and the best breakfast I've had in I don't even know how long. Lisa suggested the place because she loves their grilled cheese--winner of all kinds of accolades, featured on Opera's "Sandwich Showdown," some years back; read more--so you know we got one to split, marveling at the 3 cheese blend of fresh mozzarella, harvarti, and fontina, the shredded basil, the thinly sliced tomato, the slight hint of honey. Oh my God, my mouth is watering just thinking of it. I want another one. RIGHT NOW. Aside from sampling the grilled cheese I also ordered the Exotic Mushroom Scramble w/Bourin Cheese & Truffle Oil, Roasted Red Skin Potatoes and Bacon. The eggs were like fluffy Heaven, each bite packed with delicious goodness and a taste of all flavors, no one flavor overpowering the others. A-MA-ZING! And their coffee was so good--must have had about 4 cups!

Now back in Sticks, I am fantasizing about all that good food, loosening my belt, and also planning on some much needed exercise tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?