kids love animals



I recently visited two 2nd grades for storytimes using animals as the theme. Kids love animals. Kids also love looking at things that you pass around the room, so while I read our first story I passed around a non-fiction book with pictures of peacocks and a beautiful (I believe Folkmanis?) peacock puppet we keep in the storytime room.

While I didn't use everything on my list, here's my lesson plan:

DID YOU KNOW?:
  • The term "peacock" is commonly used to refer to birds of both sexes. Technically, only males are peacocks. Females are peahens
  • The two most common peacocks are the blue peacock lives in India and Sri Lanka, while the green peacock is found in Java and Burma
  • Only the male birds have the feathers and every year a peacock sheds the 150-plus feathers
Book 1: The Spooky Tail of Prewitt Peacock, Bill Peet
DID YOU KNOW?:
  • Each giraffe has a pattern of blotches that is unique to that individual, like a human fingerprint
  • Giraffes can run up to 35 miles/hour
  • Baby giraffes can walk within an hour of being born
Cut n’ Tell: “Peter Piper and his Polka Dotted Zoo,” my adaptation of “Mr. Purdy’s Private Zoo,” Fold-and-Cut Stories and Fingerplays: stories and poems with easy-to-cut illustrations (Preschool-grade3), Marj Hart
Book 2: Animal Puzzlers: Why Don’t Tigers Eat Bananas?, Katherine Smith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?