an infinite playlist all ours or Day 1 of a PA roadtrip

Written on Wednesday 10/15

Days like today remind of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist.

TSO arrived last night, flying in from Lopez Island, WA. After a late dinner and a movie we went to bed; me like a kid trying to sleep the night before going to Disney World. I never sleep well the night before I set off on a road trip. I am always too excited. So, it was a very sleepy me that climbed out of bed this morning at 4:30am to get ready. And a still sleepy me who climbed behind the wheel as TSO and I left for Pennsylvania at 5:30am.

Today was a glorious day to take in the fall colors as TSO and I headed southeast from MI, through Ohio into Pennsylvania. It was also one of those especially contemplative days for me as I thought back to a year ago today when Dad died, especially as that day too marked a long and weary roadtrip home to Michigan to begin all the drudgery of planning a funeral.

We traveled from flat Michigan, beginning with more chill music—to introduce we weary wanderers to the morning—to the hillier and more winding roads of Pennsylvania, and more upbeat and soulful music. As per road trip rules in my car, we rotated CD choosing, a task which both TSO and I take very seriously.

Good music on a roadtrip is like water to a fish. Necessary to survival. That is why I was so pleased that our shared selecting turned up such good tunes.

TSO and Monster's infinite playlist included:

Kt’s Alaska Mix (from TSO & Kt’s trip to Alaska)
The Weepies, Say I am You
Feist, Let it die
Bright Eyes, I’m wide awake, it’s morning
The Decemberists, The Crane Wife
Ray Lamontagne, Trouble

The rest of the afternoon was spent running errands and napping. After naps TSO’s mom taught us how to make perogies, which made up one part of a tasty dinner. It was so refreshing to have dinner sitting down with a family and listening to news of TSO’s almost-15 year old youngest sib A’s soccer team (which their Dad coaches). Sit down dinners which used to be a common place in my life at the farm have become a rarity, as now I usually plop down in front of the TV with my plate. Definitely something I miss!

Now we are watching the debates.
Ugh. I am tired of politics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eggnog with lighter fluid and other cherished Christmas memories

sample retirement acceptance letter

Juvenile Collection Librarian in a college setting?