When I was a lowly Library student I had a really awesome Young Adult class taught by Prof. R. Hunt at Wayne State University, Detroit. She not only taught me a greater appreciation for young adult literature, she taught me a LOVE of it! I still occasionally check it out and always follow the awards to see who is the best of the best:
The Teens' Top Ten 2010 is:
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
- Heist Society by Ally Carter
- Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
- Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
- Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- Fire by Kristin Cashore
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Boy Who Couldn’t Sleep and Never Had To by DC Pierson, published by Vintage Books, a division of Random House, Inc. (ISBN 9780307474612)
- Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray, published by Hyperion (ISBN 9780786868919)
- Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok, published by Riverhead Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (ISBN 9781594487569)
- The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni, published by Amy Einhorn Books, an imprint of G.P. Putnam’s Sons, a division of the Penguin Group (ISBN 9780399156090)
- The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton, published by Thomas Dunne Books for Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martin’s Press (ISBN 9780312380427)
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: A Novel by Aimee Bender, published by Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc. (ISBN 9780385501125)
- The Radleys by Matt Haig, published by Free Press, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc. (ISBN 9781439194010)
- The Reapers Are the Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell, published by Holt Paperbacks, a division of Henry Holt and Company, LLC (ISBN 9780805092431)
- Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue, published by Little, Brown and Company a division of Hatchette Book Group, Inc. (ISBN 9780316098335)
- The Vanishing of Katharina Linden: A Novel by Helen Grant, published by Delacorte Press, an imprint of The Random House Publishing Group, division of Random House, Inc. (ISBN 9780385344173)
To Sir Terry Pratchett for his novels:
Margaret A. Edwards Award
- Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, published by HarperCollins Children's Books;
- The Wee Free Men, published by HarperCollins Children's Books;
- A Hat Full of Sky, published by HarperCollins Children's Books;
- Going Postal, published by HarperCollins Publishers;
- The Colour of Magic, published by HarperCollins Publishers
- Guards! Guards!, published by HarperCollins Publishers;
- Equal Rites, published by HarperCollins Publishers;
- Mort, published by HarperCollins Publishers; and
- Small Gods, published by HarperCollins Publishers.
William C. Morris AwardWinner: The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston, published by Carolrhoda Lab, an imprint of Carolrhoda Books, a division of Lerner Publishing Group.
YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction AwardWinner: Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing by Ann Angel, published by Amulet/Abrams.
Odyssey AwardWinner: Listening Library, an imprint of Random House Audio Publishing Group, producer of the audiobook, The True Meaning of Smekday, written by Adam Rex and narrated by Bahni Turpin.
Michael L. Printz AwardWinner: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi, published by Little, Brown and Company, a division of Hachette Book Group
For more information on these awards and lists of the runners up, check out this site.