I take it back, I still love you

Dear Mark Bittman,

You draw me in with your knowledge of every recipe known to man and though you are through with your old column at the New York Times, you dangle a string before me with your new "Opinionator" commentary--the title further ensures your move to greatness; the Arnold Schwarzeneger of food--a Colossus at the top of his game with the aforementioned Times and with your blog.

I can't stop seeing you everywhere Mark, in a recent Bon Appetite magazine, in the Times, at my place of work--your books casually placed amongst lesser texts, a God among mortals.

And now Mark, I feasted my eyes upon this article, highlighting what direction the U.S. food industry should take...another gem...and DAMN YOU, I again agreed with you. The highlights (below) are so simple and yet so profound. Damn you Bittman! Damn you!

Mark Bittman's profundity:
  • End government subsidies to processed food.
  • Begin subsidies to those who produce and sell actual food for direct consumption.
  • Break up the U.S. Department of Agriculture and empower the Food and Drug Administration. Currently, the U.S.D.A. counts among its missions both expanding markets for agricultural products (like corn and soy!) and providing nutrition education. These goals are at odds with each other...
  • Outlaw concentrated animal feeding operations and encourage the development of sustainable animal husbandry.
  • Encourage and subsidize home cooking.
  • Tax the marketing and sale of unhealthful foods.
Mark, in the words of the Partridge Farmily, "I think I love you"...

Monster

And if you enjoyed my letter, you might enjoy this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love