movie mush

Feels like I can't finish a book lately (hoping to do some serious reading while I am heading home/home at the end of the month), but I did just rent a SLEW of movies from the library, so I thought I would share some thoughts.

Food Inc. : I felt like some of the horrible things that were shared about how our food is processed didn't blow me away as much as I thought they would. I think that the Farm's culture is to really push supporting locally; we are also very fortunate to have our own nearly organic food grown right here at the Farm; and I have learned so much about food processing and how much crap goes into processed store bought food.

Chatting about this very fact with JBean this weekend; we also acknowledged how in the dark most people are about what goes into their food, and also how a huge percentage of people can't afford to buy the foods that aren't as processed. This very point is well executed in the movie--it IS cheaper to feed your family at McDonalds than to buy good, wholesome food. The movie presents a lower class, working  family who talks about what it is like when both parents have to work and have limited means when it comes down to grocceries; this very family also is an example of the side effects of a high fast-food diet: the father has diabetes and one of the children is obese; also offered is footage of one of the children in a support group discussing the effects of their eating.

The most surprising thing for me in this movie was how affected farmers are by the mass produced food craze. The director interviewed various farmers, both those who work with the huge companies and those who are trying to sustain their livelihoods by doing what they feel is right.

Overall, I think this is a really great movie for people to see, because as the movie says, change HAS to come from the consumer base!

Adventureland: I was a little disappointed with this movie, which might be due in part to the fact that I read such good reviews of this movie and friends also told me how much they enjoyed it. Too much build-up maybe? The story line is about a recent college grad who realizes that he is going to have to get a job to pay for grad school, so he winds up working at the theme park in town. There were some fun scenes with SNL actors Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, but otherwise I didn't find a whole lot to connect with in this movie. Maybe it's because I wanted a light comedy and this felt a little too frustrated and angsty to me? The soundtrack is great, full of lots of great 80s jams.

Sunshine Cleaning: I thought this movie was so wonderful. There was nothing pretentious about this movie. S.C. rang truthful to me: the jumbled up relationships the family members have with each other, moving forward in life only to realize that certain things still haunt you. I really love Amy Adams. And I loved this movie. I don't even know how to sum up my thoughts in a fashion other than these broken up, short sentences. Worth the rental!

Inglourious Basterds: I was surprised how much I liked this movie, since I am not a big Quentin Tarantino fan. Tarantino reshapes the outcome of the war in Basterds; the work being done by the "Basterds," his renegade group made up of Americans, Brits and former Germans (both Jews and Christians). There is a master plot being carried out by the Basterds, which becomes intertwined with other events and other lives who were effected by the Nazis. In Tarantino style, this film is gory, but otherwise, I really enjoyed it, even Brad Pitt's funny Tennessee accent.

Avatar: Went and saw Avatar in 3D tonight. Looking at the website I was surprised to see how many awards this seems to be being considered for. It's a Cameron film;' to me this means slight plot, little character development outside of what cliche calls for, but lots of cool special effects. I guess that's the best selling point on this film; seems Cameron has raised the bar again, which made seeing Avatar in 3D worth it. The film is visually stunning and Pandora (the land of the blue man group meets Thundercat characters) is lovely, but other than that fact I walked away from this film with little more than a sense of satisfaction in finding a film which did not take too much thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love