rating Harry

For those of you Harry Potter fans out there, I LOVED movie #6, the adaption of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince from book into movie format. I rated this movie second of all the Potters, or a close tie to the movie version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (which was previously my favorite).

SPOILER ALERT!

While of course the movie has to leave out some things (and I was disappointed with Director Yates' choice to leave out the battle inside Hogwarts--between the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters--and the Funeral at the end of the book). However, I thought Yates did a good job of balancing the light and the dark: Harry's last year at Hogwarts; the awkward dating games between Ron and Lavender Brown; Quidditch; and Harry's continued education of Voldemorte. There was also some weird choices on how to make the Harry and Ginny Weasley connection happen on film (it flows more naturally in print), but all in all, Half Blood Prince was great. The special effects were really good. I was especially pleased with the scene in the cave where Tom Riddle hid the necklace--CREEPY!!

I was so pleasantly surprised, especially after the huge disappointment I felt after watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (which Yates also directed; but the film was lacking Steve Klove who wrote all the movie scripts EXCEPT Order of the Phoenix--coincidence? I think not).

Now...if only we didn't have to wait so long for the TWO installments of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Allegedly, at this point, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows release dates are scheduled to be:
Part I opening Nov. 19, 2010
Part II opening July 15, 2011

For more Harry Potter reviews:

Rolling Stone's Peter Travers

Rotten Tomatoes -- 98% rating!

And for those of you Catholics out there: NPR has a short article on the Pope's take.

Comments

Rakstar said…
I loved it too! Granted, I did agree that the final scene should have stayed with Harry being immobilized. Other than that, I think they did an amazing job keeping the story going and creating continuity for the last two. This is probably my favorite one. I know you loved Azkaban, but it is probably my 3rd fav, behind Order of Phoenix.
You liked #5 (the movie!?) It was my LEAST favorite!

Popular posts from this blog

that elusive thing

Library Love